Wednesday 29 April 2015

Fun with Infusions

This is my how I have been having fun. I have been infusing all kinds of ingredients to perfect my recipes for the day I (finally) have the distillery open. It's good to play in a lab again, although kitchens are not that much different from chemistry labs.

Right now at The APK you can sample our Creme de Menthe, made with peppery garden mint; Madagascar Creme de Cacao, made from cocoa nibs I get locally from Habitual Chocolate; Lemoncello, from a recipe I have been refining for decades; my own Canteloupe Melon Liqueur; spicy Kumquatcello, and Buddha's Hand cello made from a weird-looking Citron from China. And once I can figure out the reason why the truffle flavour keeps disappearing, Truffle, Caramel and Fleur de Sel Liqueur.

Most of these have been made with Smirnoff vodka, but second and third batches are now being tested using Wyborova Polish Vodka. Since Smirnoff is corn-based and Wyborova is rye-based, the end result can be quite different. I am planning on making wheat-based vodka and that will introduce yet another variable to the process, and yet another refining of the recipes.

Currently I am also infusing roots, spices and herbs. Gin here we come!

I had a meeting with Anne Sloboda, my contract herb grower yesterday and we have a planting plan for spring. Her garden hasn't had any pesticides or other nasty additives in the 35 years since they bought the old school house in Sparta. This part of the plan has me very excited. We head out this weekend to buy herbs to get the garden stocked and growing.

When I attended the Amazing Grazing event at the Western Fair's Agriplex, organized by my old pal Martin Withenshaw, I met a Beekeeper from just down the road from Anne. We are going to arrange for some hives for the herb farm and also for the distillery. Our roof will be buzzing when we have the bees, the bat houses, and the bird houses up there. Wild kingdom!

And best of all, we are hoping for location news very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment